What should you look for in a partner to help meet your insurance needs? One important factor, we think, is someone committed to protecting your privacy and honouring how you wish to be served.
That’s why for this website we have adopted our three basic privacy principles:*
Our goal is for you to get the most benefit from our website, visit it anonymously if you wish, and have options for the kind of interaction you prefer.*
Enjoy your web experience with us!
* Please note that "you" and "yours" refers to you as an individual and not to any legal or corporate entity. "We" or "ours" refers only to Zurich Insurance Company, a company incorporated in Switzerland and registered to conduct property and casualty insurance business in Canada, which owns and operates this website.
Personal information is processed by the Zurich Insurance Group and its affiliates and service providers, both domestic and foreign. Contact the Zurich Canada Privacy Officer for information on foreign service providers at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We protect your personal information
- This website does not collect without your knowledge personal information. It may collect anonymous information that does not personally identify you.
- No SPAM: We don't send you mass, unsolicited emails. If we contact you by email it is, for example, to answer your questions, help you with a function you have selected on our site, or otherwise as you have requested.
- We tell you how and why we collect personal information.
- We may ask you for personal information when you register with us, complete a form or buy a product from us. Where possible, we indicate which information we need and which is optional.
- We may collect personal information to answer your questions, establish or service your account or refer you to an affiliated company or other party that can best help you, or for other reasons as explained here.
- If we collect personal information from other sources, it is only as explained here.
- We use personal information collected in accordance with this our privacy commitment.
- We have procedures to limit who has access to personal information and use a variety of methods, from secure servers to other technology to safeguard it.
- Personal information stays securely with us or our affiliated companies (example 1) and with selected external providers we may use to perform some functions on our behalf (example 2). To work with us, these providers must commit to protect the personal information we share with them.
- Any other external sharing or disclosure of personal information is as you request or approve, or as provided under external partners below, or as may be legally necessary or advisable (example 3).
- We protect your personal information in accordance with the law even after you cease to be our customer.
- To provide you even more choice, we may cooperate with trusted external partners. You may from time to time receive information on products and services offered by these partners.
- But if you would prefer for us not to share your personal information with external partners for these purposes (when not involving a joint offering from us), you may tell us (opt out) and we will honour your request. Please see our contact information at the bottom of the page.
- We make it easy for you to talk to us about our privacy commitment. (Please see our contact information at the bottom of the page)
- You may also contact us about any error in the personal information we have about you and we will do our best to correct it.
- If we ever need to make any material changes to our privacy commitment, we will note this on our web site. You may also be informed in any other way as required by law.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why read these FAQs?
- What's the purpose of this policy?
- What does "you" or "we" mean?
- Does this privacy commitment apply to other web sites or companies of the Zurich Insurance Group?
- What's the purpose of links to other sites?
- What can a consumer do to help protect his or her personal information?
- What about children's privacy?
- How do we inform you about our Privacy Commitment?
- What about any changes to our Privacy Commitment?
- What about IP addresses?
If after reading our FAQs you still have questions, feel free to contact us. Please see our contact information at the bottom of the page.
What's the purpose of this policy?
To tell you as a customer or potential customer our views and efforts in protecting your privacy with respect to the use of this site. We also follow such additional measures as may be required by law. "You" refers to you as an individual current or potential customer, or visitor to this web site. It does not include corporate or other legal entities. "We" refers to Zurich Insurance Company, a company incorporated in Switzerland registered to conduct property and casualty insurance business in Canada, and not to any other legal entity.
What does "you" and "we" mean?
"You" refers to you as an individual current or potential customer, or visitor to this web site. It does not include corporate or other legal entities. "We" refers to Zurich Insurance Company, a company incorporated in Switzerland registered to conduct property and casualty insurance business in Canada, and not to any other legal entity.
Does this privacy commitment apply to other web sites or companies of the Zurich Insurance Group?
This policy applies only to this website, which is owned and operated by Zurich Insurance Company, a company incorporated in Switzerland registered to conduct property and casualty insurance business in Canada, and not to any other legal entity. This website is subject to Swiss and Canadian law. Please check with other websites to see their policy.
What's the purpose of links to other sites?
For your information and convenience, we have provided links to other web sites.
What can a consumer do to help protect his or her personal information?
What about children's privacy?
We also care about your children's privacy and are committed to protecting it. This web site is not aimed at minors and does not knowingly collect any personal information from anyone under the age of 16. In most cases, any personal information on minors that we may have has been provided to us by the parents or legal guardians.
How do we inform you about our Privacy Commitment?
Whether you are a current or potential customer or visitor to our site, you will be able to read our privacy commitment on our web site. You may also be informed in any other way as required by law.
What about any changes to our Privacy Commitment?
What about IP addresses?
When you first logged on to the internet, your computer was assigned a number called an IP address by a central internet database. Whenever you access any website, like ours, your computer sends this IP address to the host computer (which also has its own IP address). This allows the two computers to communicate and keeps a record of the interchange (comparable to the way telephone systems keep a record of phone calls made or received), including the date and time of such interchange. We do not use IP addresses to trace the identity of users of our websites or use "trace routing" or other such procedures for commercial purposes. Naturally, we reserve the right to do so to protect the security of our systems and meet our legal obligations.
1. LOCAL ACCESS RESTRICTIONS
The Site is not directed to any person in any jurisdiction where (by reason of that person's nationality, residence, citizenship or otherwise) the publication or availability of the Site and its content is contradictory to local laws or regulations. Persons with respect of whom such restrictions or prohibitions apply must not access or use this Site. By accessing or using this Site you do so on your own initiative and you are solely responsible for compliance with the applicable local laws and regulations.
2. GENERAL DISCLAIMER
THE MATERIAL AND INFORMATION ON THIS SITE ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" AND WITHOUT WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED. ALL WARRANTIES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, ARE DISCLAIMED. NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY IS MADE REGARDING CONTENT, FUNCTIONALITY, LINKS, OR COMMUNICATIONS AND NO REPRESENTATION OR WARRANTY AS TO DEFECTS OR ERRORS OR CORRECTION OF THE SAME, COMMUNICATION INTERRUPTIONS OR INTERCEPTIONS OR LOSS OF DATA, OR THE ABSENCE OF VIRUSES OR OTHER HARMFUL COMPONENTS ARE MADE.
In no event shall the Company, nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, be liable to any party for any cost or damages, including any direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages, arising out of or in connection with the access or use of, or the inability to access or use, this Site or any of its functions or features, including in connection with any browsing or downloading of any information, data, text, images, or other material accessible through this Site or any website linked to or linking into this Site.
It is the responsibility of the user of this Site to evaluate the accuracy, completeness, reliability and usefulness of any opinions, services or other information provided. All information provided on this Site is under the condition and understanding of it not being interpreted or relied on as legal, accounting, tax, financial, investment or other professional advice, or as advice on specific facts or matters.
The information and features/functions contained on this Site are provided for your informational and educational convenience only. Nothing on this Site should be relied on in making any specific investment, financial planning or other decision. Users should always consider their overall personal circumstances, investment horizon and personal risk preferences.
Accordingly, no liability whatsoever is assumed for any use or misuse of such information. Users of this Site should consult their professional advisors with respect to their personal circumstances.
Please also check any disclaimers on or in respect of specific documents on the Site.
3. NO OFFER
Nothing on this Site should be construed as a solicitation, offer, advice, recommendation, or any other service to acquire or dispose of any investment or to engage in any other investment or transaction. For information about any specific products and/or country please visit the respective website. Nothing on this Site constitutes a promise or offer of employment; the Company and its affiliated companies are committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and workplace diversity and all applications are considered in compliance with applicable law.
4. FORWARD-LOOKING STATEMENTS
The Site may contain forward-looking statements. Forward-looking statements provide current expectations of future events based on certain assumptions and include any statement that does not directly relate to a historical or present fact. While such statements may represent the Company's judgement and expectations as of publication, a number of risks, uncertainties and other important factors could cause actual developments and results to differ materially from the Company's expectations. Therefore, you must not place any reliance on forward-looking statements on this Site. The Company is under no obligation to update or alter forward-looking statements on this Site whether as a result of new information, future events, or otherwise.
5. INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
"Zurich" and its logos are registered trademarks of the Company. Except as indicated otherwise, all intellectual property, especially copyright and trademark rights, and similar rights in the information, text, graphic images, logos, features or functions, and layout (including the "feel and look") contained on the Site are the exclusive property of the Company, and may not be copied, reproduced, posted, transmitted or distributed, in whole or in part, in any form (electronic or written) without first having obtained the Company's express written consent (except for the below).
Nothing on this Site should be construed as granting a license or any other right to use any copyrights, trademarks or logos. Moreover, the downloading or printing of any materials on this Site will not result in the transfer, explicit or implied, of any rights. You may, however, download or print any pages from this Site for personal, non-commercial use only, provided you do not remove any copyright or other proprietary right notice.
The copyright in some documents and other material available on this Site belongs to third parties and such documents and other material have been produced on this Site with the permission of the third party copyright owners. You must check copyright notices on or in respect of such documents or material.
6. MARKET DATA
Zurich uses the Site to provide investors with data relating to Zurich Insurance Group Ltd shares and possibly other Zurich Insurance Group instruments listed on the SIX Swiss Exchange or another Stock Exchange ("Market Data"). The Company obtains such Market Data mainly through third party providers ("Market Data Provider"). The Company can stop providing you with Market Data at any time without prior notice and at its sole discretion. The liability of both the Company and the Market Data Provider for the accuracy or completeness of Market Data, for any delay or interruption of the supply of Market Data or for losses or damages that are incurred in any way in connection with the Market Data, including, but not limited to, any indirect or consequential loss or damage and lost profit, shall be excluded to the extent permitted by applicable law. All rights to the intellectual property of or in respect of Market Data shall be retained by the Company or the relevant Market Data Provider, as the case may be. You will strictly observe forwarding restrictions or any other restrictions as to the use of Market Data, if any, contained in such Market Data.
The links from this Site to other websites are provided for your information and convenience only.
The Company does not assume any responsibility or liability with respect to any website linked from this Site (or any website linking into this Site), including its content and operation. The Company does not review or monitor such links. Some websites may be outside your country and subject to different regulators and rules.
A link from this Site to another website (or a link from another website to this Site) does not constitute a referral, endorsement, approval, advertising, offer or solicitation with respect to such website, its contents, or any products or services advertised or distributed through that website. The Company believes that the links provided to other publicly accessible websites, webpages, newsgroups, and other sources is legally permissible and consistent with the common, customary expectations of those who make use of the Internet.
8. PRIVACY AND DATA PROTECTION
Attention: Canada Compliance
100 King Street West
Toronto, Ontario M5X 1C9
Toll Free: 800-387-5454 ext. 6800
9. SUBMISSIONS TO THIS SITE; MONITORING; OTHER
Except as provided by law and subject to our privacy and data protection policy (see section above), all submissions or transmissions made to or through this Site shall become the property of the Company. The Company reserves the right to use any material (e.g., any comment, idea, concept, technique or know-how) submitted for any purpose, including but not limited to reproduction, distribution, publication and posting.
By submitting personal data to the Company or its affiliated companies, you acknowledge and agree that said data may be processed, stored and archived by the Company or its affiliated companies or a third party on their behalf for the purpose it was submitted, and may be forwarded to other member companies of the Zurich Insurance Group in your country of residence and abroad. As a result, you acknowledge and agree that data may be transmitted to countries where data protection legislation is less stringent than in your country of residence.
The Company is not obligated to monitor any submissions or transmissions to or through this Site or any website to which this Site links or that links into this Site. The Company, however, reserves the right to monitor the same, including any chat rooms or similar website features. You acknowledge that no obligation of any kind shall be attached to such information and that by submitting or transmitting such information, no confidential, contractually implied or other relationship is created between you and the Company.
For a review of our Privacy Statement and details of our commitment to obtaining meaningful consent in the collection, use, storage and disclosure of personal information, please click here
10. USER CONDUCT
When accessing or making use of any part of this Site, you may not:
- Post or transmit any unlawful, threatening, abusive, libelous, defamatory, obscene, pornographic, profane or otherwise objectionable information of any kind, including without limitation any transmissions constituting or encouraging conduct that would constitute a criminal offence, give rise to civil liability or otherwise violate any national or international law;
- Post or transmit any information or software which contains a virus, worm, trojan horse or other harmful component;
- Interfere with the functioning of this Site or restrict or inhibit any other user from using this Site;
- Post, publish, transmit, reproduce, distribute or exploit any information, software or other material obtained through this Site for commercial purposes without the prior written consent of the Company;
- Post or upload content on the Site, in which you don't own the respective rights.
You will indemnify the Company for any costs or damages that the Company incurs as the result of any such inappropriate content per the above being uploaded by you.
ANY ATTEMPT BY ANY PERSON TO DAMAGE THIS SITE OR UNDERMINE ITS OPERATION MAY BE A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL OR CIVIL LAWS. THE COMPANY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH PERSON TO THE FULL EXTENT OF THE LAW.
11. APPLICABLE LAW AND JURISDICTION
The Company makes no representation that any information, materials or features/functions included are appropriate for use in any other jurisdiction. The Site is not directed to any person in any jurisdiction where (by reason of that person's nationality, residence, citizenship or otherwise) the publication or availability of the Site and its content is contradictory to local laws or regulations. Persons with respect of whom such restrictions or prohibitions apply must not access or use this Site. By accessing or using this Site you do so on your own initiative and are solely responsible for compliance with the applicable local laws and regulations.
Last updated:January 9, 2019
- So you don't have to identify yourself every time you re-enter our web site
- To personalize our web site so as to save you time
- To determine previous or subsequent sites visited by those visiting our site
- To determine which parts of our web site are of most use to our visitors and customers and thus improve them accordingly
If you have provided us with personal information on this site, this information may be linked with the data stored in the cookie so as to be able to serve you as described above.
You have a choice on cookies
If you prefer not to receive cookies or be alerted each time a cookie is sent, you can set your web browser accordingly. If you disable cookies, you should be able in most cases to visit and make use of our web site. But you may be unable to benefit from some of our site's features or functions and your visit may be less speedy.
NOTE: Any personal or other information collected by a site you may visit linked to this site will be in accordance with its policies and subject to the laws that apply to it.
For various reasons, including to measure traffic activity and preferred areas of our site, we may from time to time track and share with others certain anonymous statistical information regarding usage of our sites or its users. You can rest assured that this type of information is aggregated anonymously and will not personally identify you.
By "personal information" we mean any information that personally identifies you and that is not public. Personal information includes:
- Information on your relationship with us or transactions you do with us
- Financial or health information
- Information about you which you provide us, such as on a registration or application form
- Other non-public personal information about you which we may receive or collect
On this site we may collect certain personal information from you to:
- Answer your questions or put you on a mailing list you have requested
- Allow you to use features or functions on this site
- Be able to refer you to one of our affiliates (companies members of our Group), to an agent, or to an external partner who can meet a need you have expressed
- Properly advise you
- Prevent any unauthorized transactions or other fraudulent activities
- Offer you information on products or services that may interest you
- Meet legal requirements
If you do (or apply to do) business with us, we may also collect information to:
- Help us evaluate your application or request for an extension or renewal
- Establish your account
- Depending on the products we provide you, advise a co-insurer, reinsurer, asset securitization company, or other such parties of details they need in connection with transactions they are asked to handle
- Process your payments, redemption requests, claims, etc.
To the extent we gather any personal information from a source other than you, it is only as permitted by law. Sources may include our affiliates, public sources, consumer reporting agencies, credit bureaus, medical service providers, companies that provide demographic or marketing data, and external partners. For more detailed information related to the collection of personal information, please review our Privacy Statement
Methods of protection
Protecting your personal information is a priority to us. In addition to secure servers not accessible to unauthorized persons, we may, depending on the nature of information in question and other factors, use on this web site other security measures such as:
- ID and password protected systems
- Secure electronic transactions (SET)
- Secure sockets layers (SSL)
- Computer firewalls (hardware and software)
No means of information storage or transmission, whether the postal system or the Internet, offers 100% security. But we think that by working together with our customers risks can be minimized. Please read: What can a consumer do to help protect his or her personal information?
Affiliates - example 1
By "affiliates" or "affiliated companies" we mean companies (separate legal entities) that are members of the Zurich Insurance Group.
When you visit our site and desire specific information, you are asked to select your country, so that you can get in touch with our affiliated company that can best serve you. In that case, any collection and use of personal or other information will be done by that affiliate, in accordance with its policies and subject to the laws that apply to it.
However, when we share directly any personal information gathered on this web site with an affiliated company - whether it is located in your country of residence or outside - you can be sure it has committed to protect this information.
From time to time, we may use external service providers or contractors within or outside of your country of residence to perform certain services on our behalf. This may be done, for example, to help us handle billing statements, answer phone or other queries, process claims for our customers, or send a product announcement.
When we give external service providers/contractors access to personal information collected, we require them to protect this information and comply with applicable data protection and privacy laws. We prohibit these companies from sharing this information with companies not affiliated with them and from sending our customers unsolicited e-mails (SPAM).
By "external partners", we mean a company or individual with whom we may work but which is not an affiliate of the Zurich Insurance Group and not a service provider/contractor as described under Example 2.
We may work with selected external partners, from within or outside your country of residence, to put together joint offerings (or offerings from them alone) that are tailored to your needs or provide you greater choice. For example: we may team up with an external banking organization to make certain banking products available to you.
If to do this we find a need to share with external partners personal information collected on this site, we strive to limit it to information that is needed for the products or services to be offered.
To work with us, these external partners have to agree to protect personal information we share with them and to comply with applicable data protection and privacy laws. Additionally, we prohibit them from sharing this information with companies not affiliated with them and from sending our customers unsolicited e-mails (SPAM).
But if you would prefer for us not to share your personal information collected on this site with external partners for non-joint offerings (i.e., not jointly offered or sponsored with us or not done pursuant to a joint marketing agreement with us), you may tell us (opt out) and we will honour your request.
We may if necessary also share personal information externally:
- To comply with laws, regulations, and, where obligatory, industry rules
- To resolve any service or billing disputes
- In the context of legal proceedings
- To prevent fraud
- To anyone holding a legal or beneficial interest on behalf of the customer or us
- Depending on the products we provide you, to meet contractual or other obligations in the context of reinsurance, securitization, financial guarantees and other such transactions
- As you may request or approve.
If you cease to be our customer, we will handle your personal information gathered on this site in accordance with the terms of this privacy commitment. We will keep your personal information for at least as long as required by law. From time to time, we may contact you to inform you about new products or services, unless you request otherwise.
Note: At this time we do not share any personal information we collect on this web site with external partners, except as provided in Example 3. We may share personal information with external service providers/contractors for the purposes described in Example 2.
If in the future we intend to share personal information collected on this site with external partners for non-joint offerings, we will provide you with the means to decline (opt out) if you wish.
For any question regarding a web site linked to this one, please contact directly such web site or the company responsible for it.
For questions regarding this web site, contact us either by e-mail, fax, post, or telephone. Please address your inquiry to the attention of our Privacy Compliance Officer.
Attention: Canada Compliance
100 King Street West
Toronto, Ontario M5X 1C9
Toll Free: 800-387-5454 ext. 6800Fax: 866-398-0234